Monday, January 12, 2009

Is this really only the 3rd week of winter??

Ticking into my last few days before Arizona....I had a little lower shin issue late last week, so I took today off and just did an easy 6 miles on the treadmill yesterday (Sunday). Trying to get a couple more 6 milers in before the race on Sunday. I'll shoot for a 6 on Tuesday and Thursday. I've been icing and ibuprofen-ing and anti-biotic-ing (for these sinuses) like crazy. I've got so much antibiotics in me, by Friday, I should be able to lick the headrest on the airline seat without getting sick.

It seems it hasn't stopped snowing since October. More snow tonight. I've had to do all my training in the last month on the treadmill. It's killing me. I have so much winter running gear that I can't use. I just can't take a chance running on the snow/ice anymore. Someone posted on RWOL whether training exclusively on the treadmill can cause injuries. I wonder whether that's part of my shin issue. Or maybe I've switched into a light neutral shoe, and maybe I still need more stability. I'd like to get outside, but yeesh, this won't melt for at least 3 weeks now.

Saw Gran Torino the other night. WOW. I think this is the first non-Disney movie I've seen in 5 years.

Speaking of Disney, my friend Jed ran the Goofy Marathon in Disney this weekend. A half - marathon on Saturday, and a full marathon on Sunday. That'd be 39.3 miles, or if you're keeping track at home, about 13.1 miles more than I'd ever do in a weekend. That's impressive. And crazy. Can't wait to see the medal and hear about his race. I've done the Disney runs before , but I think this is the first time he's done the Disney runs. Maybe next year, I can talk my better half into the half-marathon there.

Speaking of my better half. He's also doing the Arizona half this weekend. He's been traveling so much though, that he hasn't been able to get any good long runs in. So, he's on the "finish" strategy. I feel bad for him, he just doesn't have the ability to get the runs in like me. But, I'm going to take a stab at it and say he comes in at 2:15!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck to both of you this weekend!

    Sorry about all that snow. That's a drag. I feel like winter started about a month earlier than it usually does this time around. Hopefully that means it will also end earlier?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friend Jed is crazy (in a good way). Can't imagine doing both in a weekend.

    Have a restful week and keep that tongue of yours off strange headrests (feel free to enjoy the pleather delights of your own car, though). I'm going to be thinking of you feeling great and running strong, as I'm sure you will be. Can't wait for the report. And more good running vibes to your man, may he have a great race, too.

    ReplyDelete